Sunday, July 1, 2012

Not in Kansas Anymore

Hi Everybody!

I realize it's been quite a long time since I last posted on here, but yes...I am now in Russia! I have been here so far exactly a week, and I've just been too busy to post anything. The orientation in DC was fun, and then last Saturday we all flew out of DC. We had an all-night flight, and then we landed in Moscow around 10 am local time. Then, our Nizhny group (there are 14 of us) got on a bus for about six hours, where we pretty much alternated between sleeping, singing Eminem songs, and frantically looking up words in Russian so that we would be able to communicate with our host families later.

(Oh yeah, host families!)

I have a very lovely host family. My host mom's name is Elena, my host dad is Anatoly, and my host sister is named Olesya. She is 16. I was also happy to discover they have pets; they have a dog and two cats, which is the same as my American family. We live in an apartment on the 9th floor. It's very cozy.

This is basically my daily schedule:

-Wake up at 8 am, eat breakfast, get dressed, etc
-Walk to the bus stop at 9:10-ish
-Take bus to the university
-10 am: First class, Russian history
-11 am: First Russian lesson of the day
-11:50 ish: Ten minute break
-12 pm: Second Russian lesson
-1 pm: Walk to cafe for lunch
-2 pm: Last Russian lesson of the day

Usually there is something after this as well; either consultation with the teachers or going on some excursion. Then I take the bus home, eat, do homework, usually eat again when my host parents come home from work, and then do something with my host sister. Yesterday was Saturday, so I pretty much caught up on sleep all day, did homework, and then my host sister took me to this amusement park. Unfortunately, between the two of us we were scared of most of the rides, so we ended up just going on 3. But there was this lovely path through the woods that went along the Volga, so we walked there, and some guy took a picture of us, which was kinda awkward.

Well, I have to go-- will try and post again soon!

-Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment